Thursday, July 12, 2012

Magnetic Spice Rack

I have been wanting a magnetic spice rack for a couple years now. My spice cupboard took up too much space in my tiny apartment kitchen and it was a nightmare to find whatever I needed. Everything would fall everywhere and organization was impossible with a hodgepodge of different containers. Too bad I forgot to take a before photo. One day while walking through Ikea (I heart Ikea!) with my fiance I found the perfect magnetic board. The white SPONTAN was $12.99, a price my love could not argue with. They sold spice tins too but they were too big and not what I had in mind. So I picked up the board and a new project was born. I went about collecting my other supplies. I got my tins from http://www.specialtybottle.com/. I love this place! I have a rather extensive spice collection so I ordered 50 4oz.  & 12 8oz. square tins with clear windows in the lid. Now I needed magnets. I went with a 1/16"  12'x24' sheet of peel and stick outdoor adhesive magnet. I cut 50 2"x2" and 12 2 1/2"x 2 1/2" Squares and stuck them to the backs of all my little tins. Time to fill them all! Yea! I was getting so excited! Time to pull out the handy dandy label maker. I used a clear tape with black print and got to work on my long list.




Allspice
Bay Leaf- lg tin
Basil
Beau Monde
Black Peppercorn- lg tin
Caraway Seed
Cardamom, seed and powder
Cayenne Pepper
Celery Seed
Chili Powder
Chives
Cilantro
Cinnamon
Cloves, whole and ground
Coriander
Cumin
Curry
Dill
Fennel
Garlic, powder & salt
Ginger, powder, candied
Greek Seasoning
Ground Black Pepper-lg tin- for daily cooking
Herbs de Province
Italian Dressing Mix-lg tin-(I make this myself)
Italian Seasoning
Kosher Salt-lg tin- for daily cooking
Lemon Pepper
Marjoram
Mint
Mustard Powder
Nutmeg
Onion, powder
Onion,  minced- lg tin
Onion Soup Mix-lg tin (I make this myself)
Oregano
Paprika
Parsley
Poppy Seed
Poultry Seasoning
Ranch Dressing mix-lg tin
Red Pepper Flakes
Rosemary
Saffron
Sage
Seasoned Salt
Taco Seasoning- lg tin ( I make this myself)
Tarragon
Thyme
Turmeric
White Pepper


I also have a handful of seasonings that I ran out of room for such as Mrs. Dash & Montreal Steak that I may make a smaller board on the inner cupboard door for in the future. As you can see I have quite the selection plus I have a full herb garden on my balcony. Though that is only available to me a few months of the year here in Minnesota.

Please excuse my horrible pictures, it was hard to get decent lighting and I am still learning how to use my new camera. Hopefully one day my photos will look all professional like the gorgeous pictures all over Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I bet you make some TASTY food! Me, I tend to depend on my tried and true. All of the spices I own - which I buy in bulk from my local health food store - can fit in to one gallon-sized ziplock bag. I use garlic and onion powder in just about everything. I also have cilantro and a little bit of black and white pepper that I add when I am making stock or broth. For the many salads we eat, I have dill weed, chives, and poppy seeds. (I make the dressing myself out of red wine vinegar and olive oil.) I also have miscellaneous spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pumpkin pie.
    On my stove, I keep a 4oz glass jar of RealSalt - which I buy in bulk, a 4oz glass jar of All Seasons Salt, and an organic version of Ms. Dash. (That one is sadly plastic, sigh...)
    And that's it, all the spices I own, lol!
    I like keeping my spices in the little baggies I buy them in because I can buy smaller quantities at a time (usually about 2oz), and I can squeeze the air out of the bag each time I use them to keep them from clumping up the way they do in the jars.
    However, I can totally see why you would need a spick rack! With all those spices, you would really need to search through a cupboard to find anything!
    My mom used to have a drawer that she could pull out of the cupboard. She kept all her spices in there, and while it was easier to pull out the drawer and sort through them, she had a habit of buying spices when they went on sale for dirt cheap - whether she needed them or not! So often, you'd pull out 5 different open containers of garlic, 7 Ms Dash, and three Lowerys before finding the right spice, lol!

    You should totally post more of the crafty things you do, especially recipes! Have a happy day :-)

    ReplyDelete